part-time 20-28 hours per week
Calling all children’s book enthusiasts! We are looking for a knowledgeable, energetic and creative person to be our Children’s Event Coordinator. This is a part-time position with varying hours. The primary responsibility of this position is the coordinating of author visits to local schools including scheduling, creating order forms, ordering and processing books, and escorting authors. He or she will track and analyze school events to cultivate the best venues for author visits ensuring a great experience for the author and students. In addition, this person will work closely with the event team to create and schedule in-store children’s book-related programs, both with and without authors, which are fun and engaging. He or she will also work on the floor as a children’s bookseller. We are looking for someone with expertise in children’s literature, who possesses outstanding organizational, time management and problem-solving skills and is attentive to details. This person must be able to work flexible hours as the hours are varied and follow the event schedule.
If you are interested, please send your resume with a cover letter to Deb Sundin, General Manager, at email@example.com.
Bookstore Manager, The MIT Press Bookstore
The MIT Press seeks an experienced, entrepreneurial bookseller to lead the MIT Press Bookstore and its growing staff.
The bookstore functions as a full service bookstore to the MIT community and Cambridge residents, businesses, commuters, and tourists, offering a broad selection of trade / scholarly / art / children’s titles and serving as a showroom for the publications of the MIT Press, the leading university press of books and journals at the intersection of science, technology, art, and design.
The Store Manager leads a small dynamic team of booksellers, providing exemplary customer service, sales and merchandising, and overseeing all buying, accounting, and operations of a fast-paced retail environment.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Staff Supervision and Store Leadership– Hiring, scheduling, supervision, and training of staff.
- Customer Service & Sales– Maintenance of the sales floor; providing direct sales assistance to customers.
- Marketing & Merchandising– Guiding the store’s marketing, social media efforts & instore merchandising.
- Events Strategy & Support – Supervise events staff in coordinating a targeted events schedule.
- Book Purchasing– Inventory curation and control; ordering, returning, shipping, and receiving of inventory.
- Accounting– Cash / invoice / receivable / expenditure / vendor account reconciliation; tracking & budgeting.
- Operations– Maintenance of POS system, IT software updates, and operational functioning of the store.
- Facility Maintenance – Acting facility manager, liaising with MIT Press to supervise any issues / enhancements.
- Three to five years of bookstore or related retail management experience;
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills and ease with telephone, email, and in-person communication;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Must be able to juggle multiple priorities despite frequent interruptions, and work independently.
- Must be able to handle confidential financial information, interpret store policies using discretion and judgment,
- Must be able to lift boxes weighing up to 40 lbs.
- Frequent weekend and evening work required.
- Proficiency with Excel, Word, InDesign, MailChimp, and Eventbrite preferred.
Interested candidates should email David Goldberg ASAP to get more information on applying for this position.
Peter E. Randall Publisher, Portsmouth, NH – Publishing/Marketing Assistant
Seeking a cheerful, responsible publishing/marketing assistant for an independent publishing house. Minimum of two days per week in a Portsmouth, NH, office. Strong written and verbal skills are a must. We have the best authors and we are seeking a team player who will enjoy them as much as we do! We are a Mac-based office and use Microsoft Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat Pro regularly. Knowledge of Photoshop, and ability to update Word Press website is a plus. Hourly rate is commensurate with experience and negotiable. This is a long-term position that can grow. Also seeking bookkeeper familiar with Quickbooks for the Mac. These positions could be combined. Please send email with resume to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
Northshire Bookstore, Manchester Center, VT, is seeking booksellers – both adult and kids. The ideal applicants will have a love for books and an ability to share their enthusiasm with our customers. Qualifications include joy, book knowledge, experience in retail, familiarity with computers, flexibility and reliability. Come join the Northshire family! Please submit an application online at www.northshire.com
To place an ad email Ali@NEBA.org.
NEIBA members are free to post classifieds for help wanted, positions sought and for re-selling goods and services such as used fixtures, inventory, surplus supplies and other items that bookstores may wish to purchase from other stores.
Postings are free to members. Only postings that might potentially benefit members such as “bookstore wanted” or “help wanted” or “positions wanted” will be permitted.
Non-members may place an appropriate classified for $25, payable by check or credit card in advance. Email Ali Schmelzle (Ali@NEBA.org).
The NEIBA Exchange is not intended for marketing titles from publishers or for other vendors such as wholesalers or fixture companies to market their goods and services to bookstores. It is, rather, a clearinghouse for members to reach each other with information about jobs, stores for sale or purchase and re-selling merchandise or goods already purchased as when stores close and offer their inventory and fixtures to other stores.
Each member is solely responsible for the accuracy of its postings. The NEIBA Exchange and the New England Independent Booksellers Association are not responsible for any errors.