Breakwater Books • Guilford, CT • seeking Owner
Dear Friends and Customers,
For over 47 years, Breakwater Books has been a fixture in the heart of Guilford, and your support has sustained one of our town’s greatest treasures. I have decided, after much soul searching, that I am at the time of life when I would like to travel more frequently and this would take me away from the store for too many days or weeks at a time. Therefore, I have chosen to sell Breakwater Books. I am hoping that you – or someone you know – will want to be the next owner of Breakwater Books, and see it remain as the core of our community.
When I purchased the business a few years ago, I did so with the belief that it was essential to maintain a sustainable reading environment for years to come. In this age of electronic this and digital that, Breakwater Books remains well positioned to ensure that books and reading will remain at the forefront of our business. We have made several major improvements to the bookstore over recent years, and the store is primed to continue as an anchor in this community for many more years. The key ingredients that will contribute to the success of a new owner are all in place: a loyal customer base, a dedicated, hard-working staff, the newest technology tools to remain current and relevant, and a highly-visible location in our beautiful and historic town.
All it takes is someone who is passionate about books and all that they represent, who genuinely loves people and wants to be of service, and who has good judgment and is willing to learn what it takes to operate a retail business. And just as former owner Maureen Corcoran provided me with strong guidance, I am eager to provide the next owner or owners with the necessary resources to ensure a smooth transition.
The reason that I am contacting you directly is that I know how much you care about Breakwater Books and perhaps you might know someone – even a family member ready for a change of pace – who would enjoy being the owner of our community’s center for literary culture.
Bookstores are surprisingly affordable. If you or someone you know would like to learn more about the opportunity to become Breakwater Books’ new owner, please contact me at email@example.com.I can provide you or your contact with more information at that time. Thank you so much for your continued patronage and for your interest in seeing Breakwater Books serve more generations of readers for years to come.
MIT Press Bookstore • Cambridge, MA • seeking Booksellers
Bookazine • Bayonne, NJ • seeking Sales Support Representative
Bookazine, a full-service book wholesaler located in Bayonne, is seeking a Sales Support Representative with the responsibilities of:
- Responding promptly to customer inquiries, facilitating orders and returns and fulfilling customer needs to ensure satisfaction.
- Exhibiting a positive, empathetic and professional attitude toward customers at all times
- Process customer orders and provide tracking/shipping information
- Support business development and client referral goals by actively cross-selling and referring customers
- Analyzing sales data and creating sales support materials
- Coordinating and communicating with colleagues as necessary
- Providing overall administrative and sales support to sales team
- Keeping strong records of customer interactions, transactions, comments and complaints
- Creating sales support materials as necessary
- Following the Company’s communication procedures, guidelines and policies
- Using web-based and internal computer systems to maintain important daily/weekly/monthly sales tasks
Required skills include:
- Minimum of three (3) years of successful experience in customer service.
- Strong proficiency in general internet & computer skills including Word, Excel and database software
- Field and send business correspondence
- Ability to work well under pressure and proactively solve problems
- Must be extremely organized, detail-oriented, and have the ability to multi-task and prioritize.
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation package
- Benefits including medical, dental, vision
- Casual Dress Code
To apply, please include resume with cover letter and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
MIT Press (MITP)• Cambridge, MA • seeking Sales Assistant
MIT Press (MITP) is looking for a Sales Assistant to support domestic and international efforts to sell MITP into trade and special market channels while working closely with independent bookstores and wholesaler accounts.
Responsibilities include acting as first point of contact for queries from customers/reps/bookstores; liaising with sales reps and accounts through the creation, editing, and distribution of marketing materials; creating, managing, analyzing, and disseminating sales reports; assisting with improving and implementing inventory management tools/systems; managing BISAC coding, assigning frontlist and revisiting backlist codes, and updating as necessary; troubleshooting online account data; coordinating distribution of catalogs and galleys; coordinating logistics for sales conferences; managing MITP presence at Book Expo, Wi15, and regional trade shows; editing and distributing reports from sales reps; and handling accounting–payment and invoicing–duties as necessary.
Will also provide data and service to wholesaler customers; monitor and report stock levels and sell-through of key titles at Baker & Taylor, Bookazine, and Ingram and provide sales forecasts; coordinate library wholesale business through sales reviews, planning, and promotions; increase sales to the existing special sales accounts and research new special sales opportunities in nontraditional sales channels, including in collaboration with The MIT Press Bookstore; create and distribute “special sales” specific marketing materials to target non-traditional sales accounts; and perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED: high school diploma or equivalent; three years’ relevant work experience; detail-orientation; excellent oral and written communication, project management, event planning, and customer service skills; and proficiency with Excel, Word, FileMaker, Mailchimp, graphic design programs, and databases. College degree preferred.
Working at MIT offers opportunities, an environment, a culture — and benefits — that just aren’t found together anywhere else. If you’re curious, motivated, want to be part of a unique community, and help shape the future – then take a look at this opportunity.
MIT is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin.
Penny McConnel and Liza Bernard, founders and co-owners of The Norwich Bookstore, have viewed their business as an unfolding story over the past 25 years. As they put the store on the market, what better way to plan the next chapter than to envision a happy ending set in the near future?
…It’s August 1st, 2024, and the Norwich Bookstore is celebrating 30 years with happy readers of all ages. The new owners have embraced all the positive aspects of the past and are adding their personal touches to the space and the services offered. Penny and Liza are pleased and excited to have found an energetic and creative new team…
Located in the central Vermont village of Norwich, the bookstore opened in 1994 with the goal of serving the reading and writing community of the Upper Valley, a “micropolitan” region that straddles Vermont and New Hampshire, and includes Dartmouth College. We have achieved that goal and then some, earning industry and regional accolades along the way! The bookstore is busier than ever with a full calendar of author events and a dedicated – and growing – customer base.
Are you interested in becoming part of this exciting narrative? Do you know anyone looking for a beloved community bookstore to shepherd into the future? Please contact Liza Bernard at email@example.com.
Print: A Bookstore • Portland, ME • seeking Owner Events Coordinator & Bookseller
Print: A Bookstore is looking for an enthusiastic, community-focused, and experienced Events Coordinator and Bookseller. This person will work closely with the Print team to develop, schedule, promote, and implement author events and programs. The ideal candidate will be well organized, be able to multi-task, have excellent communication skills, and be computer literate.
Responsibilities include designing and executing events, creating marketing and publicity materials in print and on our website, managing our social media channels, sending out our bi-monthly newsletter, as well as spending time on the sales floor as a frontline bookseller.
Hours will vary with the event schedule and include weekends and evenings. Bookselling experience strongly preferred. Book and/or industry knowledge beneficial.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to co-owner Emily Russo: Emily@PrintBookstore.com.
The MIT Press Bookstore • Cambridge, MA • seeking Bookstore Manager
The MIT Press seeks an experienced, entrepreneurial bookseller to lead the MIT Press Bookstore and its growing staff.
The bookstore functions as a full service bookstore to the MIT community and Cambridge residents, businesses, commuters, and tourists, offering a broad selection of trade / scholarly / art / children’s titles and serving as a showroom for the publications of the MIT Press, the leading university press of books and journals at the intersection of science, technology, art, and design.
The Store Manager leads a small dynamic team of booksellers, providing exemplary customer service, sales and merchandising, and overseeing all buying, accounting, and operations of a fast-paced retail environment.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Staff Supervision and Store Leadership– Hiring, scheduling, supervision, and training of staff.
- Customer Service & Sales– Maintenance of the sales floor; providing direct sales assistance to customers.
- Marketing & Merchandising– Guiding the store’s marketing, social media efforts & instore merchandising.
- Events Strategy & Support – Supervise events staff in coordinating a targeted events schedule.
- Book Purchasing– Inventory curation and control; ordering, returning, shipping, and receiving of inventory.
- Accounting– Cash / invoice / receivable / expenditure / vendor account reconciliation; tracking & budgeting.
- Operations– Maintenance of POS system, IT software updates, and operational functioning of the store.
- Facility Maintenance – Acting facility manager, liaising with MIT Press to supervise any issues / enhancements.
- Three to five years of bookstore or related retail management experience;
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills and ease with telephone, email, and in-person communication;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Must be able to juggle multiple priorities despite frequent interruptions, and work independently.
- Must be able to handle confidential financial information, interpret store policies using discretion and judgment,
- Must be able to lift boxes weighing up to 40 lbs.
- Frequent weekend and evening work required.
- Proficiency with Excel, Word, InDesign, MailChimp, and Eventbrite preferred.
Interested candidates should email David Goldberg ASAP to get more information on applying for this position.
Peter E. Randall Publisher • Portsmouth, NH • seeking Publishing/Marketing Assistant
Seeking a cheerful, responsible publishing/marketing assistant for an independent publishing house. Minimum of two days per week in a Portsmouth, NH, office. Strong written and verbal skills are a must. We have the best authors and we are seeking a team player who will enjoy them as much as we do! We are a Mac-based office and use Microsoft Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat Pro regularly. Knowledge of Photoshop, and ability to update Word Press website is a plus. Hourly rate is commensurate with experience and negotiable. This is a long-term position that can grow. Also seeking bookkeeper familiar with Quickbooks for the Mac. These positions could be combined. Please send email with resume to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
Northshire Bookstore • Manchester Center, VT • seeking Booksellers (both adult and kids)
The ideal applicants will have a love for books and an ability to share their enthusiasm with our customers. Qualifications include joy, book knowledge, experience in retail, familiarity with computers, flexibility and reliability. Come join the Northshire family! Please submit an application online at www.northshire.com.
To place a listing, please e-mail Ali@NEBA.org.
NEIBA members are free to post classifieds for help wanted, positions sought, and re-selling goods and services to other stores (e.g., used fixtures, inventory, surplus supplies and other items).
Non-members may place an appropriate classified for $25, payable by check or credit card in advance. E-mail Ali Schmelzle (Ali@NEBA.org) to begin this process.
The NEIBA Exchange is not intended for marketing titles from publishers or for other vendors such as wholesalers or fixture companies to market their goods and services to bookstores.
Each member is solely responsible for the accuracy of its postings. The NEIBA Exchange and the New England Independent Booksellers Association are not responsible for any errors.