How to Report
Indie Bestseller List, NEIBA Indie Bestseller List & New York Times Bestseller List
All ABA members are encouraged to report their sales weekly. Reporting is fast, easy and confidential. The Indie Bestseller Lists are the freshest expression of independent booksellers’ handselling prowess. Other reasons to participate?
- To showcase the strength of the indie channel in the publishing industry
- To receive customized demographics reports about what’s selling in your area (when reporting via BookScan)
- To receive a more robust monthly white box mailing of publisher-sponsored ARCs and galleys
- To create indie bookstore buzz in-store, in print and online
Stores can report electronically in one of three ways: manual entry, file upload or, the easiest of all, via Nielsen BookScan. Note: the reporting system is open to ABA members only. To join ABA, please complete an application.
It’s as easy as one, two…
1.Choose one of the three ways to report.
BookScan – via your POS BookScan is compatible with the following point of sale systems: Booklog, Anthology, WordStock, IBID and IBIDie, SQ1 and iMerchant, Basil, and Books in Store. For more information and to sign-up to report to BookScan, please contact Dennie Halby at BookScan, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABA manual entry – enter your top sellers by hand – view instructions
ABA file upload – upload a simple file from your POS system – view instructions
2. Pick a convenient time to report.
The report should include sales occurring during the week beginning 12:01 am Sunday through midnight Saturday.
If reporting via ABA manual entry or ABA file upload, transmit the weekly report no later than 3 am ET each Tuesday, via the ABA reporting site. The reporting site opens each week at midnight Saturday, ET.
If reporting via BookScan, transmit the weekly report no later than 6 pm each Monday.
For questions, visit the ABA Indie Bestseller FAQ page. For technical support, contact Peter Reynolds at email@example.com.
The New York Times Bestseller List
The New York Times Bestseller List, released every Sunday in the paper’s Book Review, reflects sales reported by vendors offering a wide range of general interest titles. The sales venues for print books include independent book retailers; national, regional and local chains; online and multimedia entertainment retailers; supermarkets, university, gift and discount department stores; and newsstands.
It’s increasingly important for independent booksellers to make their voices heard on a national level. Please, demonstrate the importance of the indie sales channel by reporting your sales to this important national outlet for book news.
To report your sales to the New York Times, call Chris Harcum at (212) 556-5889 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Every Tuesday, you’ll receive an email letting you know what titles are in the Book Review that weekend, giving you advance notice to order these titles for your loyal readers.
- You’ll also receive the Times Digest with the pdf containing the Best Sellers Lists a week and a half before it hits the printed edition.
- You’ll also receive a complimentary copy of the printed Book Review sent directly to your store.