- This event has passed.
All About the Books
January 15 @ 10:30 am - 3:30 pm
** TICKETS REQUIRED: EVENT IS NOW SOLD OUT **
Join us for a day of Kid Lit authors and NECBA education!
Schedule of Events:
10:30 AM – 12:00 PM — Author Readings
- Cynthia L. Copeland, author & illustrator of Cub
- Isaac Fitzgerald, author of How to be a Pirate
- Iona Hobai, author of A Whale of a Mistake
- Janae Marks, author of From the Desk of Zoe Washington
- Cammie McGovern, author of Just Breathe
- Oge Mora, illustrator of The Oldest Student
- Lesléa Newman, author of Welcoming Elijah
- Maria Padian, author of How to Build a Heart
- Diana Urban, author of All Your Twsited Secrets
- Maris Wicks, illustrator of Astronauts: Women on the Final Frontier
12:00 PM – 1:30 PM — Lunch with Authors
1:30 PM – 3:30 PM — Education Program: “How to Write Next-Level Blurbs”
Writing effective blurbs is a necessary part of every bookseller’s toolkit. Blurbs can not only move books forward—by convincing a buyer to bring a book into your store, or motivate a customer to purchase—but can serve to move a bookseller’s career forward by bringing them to the attention of the industry as a whole. But we can all agree that writing blurbs is STRESSFUL. How do you craft a high-quality, intriguing blurb in 150 words? (…or sometimes less!) What is the hook you need? What words or phrases should you avoid? In this education session, taught by both publisher staff and blurb-master booksellers, learn what publishers look for when seeking the right blurb to promote their books, and how booksellers can write interesting and concise recommendations that work both in-store and out. Please bring a review you’re working on (either a hard copy or on your phone) to workshop with the goal of improving/expanding it…and reducing anxiety about the process as a whole.